Thursday, February 26, 2009

Useful Analogy

I realized something interesting the other day, and I wanted to share it with "you." Considering that I have no idea who reads this, or if anybody reads this at all, I put "you" in quotes. But that is the nature of having a blog. Illusory intimacy with an online audience.

Anyways, facebook was recently flooded with an interesting fad in which people write down 25 random facts about themselves and post it in a note. Then they tag people, and those people are supposed to write 25 random things about themselves. I have many thoughts about the activity itself, but I actually want to talk about a random fact that someone wrote about themselves.

Here is what this person wrote (paraphrased):
4 (or 14 I have no idea)- I hate waking up to the morning sun. I feel so disgusting with the rays of sunlight beaming on my face.

I really enjoyed this, because I have actually felt the exact same way. There have been many mornings where I have woken up, felt the penetrating rays of the sun baking my already sweaty and oily body, and wanted to die, or at least cuss somebody out.

I recently heard a talk on the "wrath of God." According to the speaker, God's wrath is simply the exposure of sinful humanity to God's holy presence.

Without the sun, we would all die. Plants could not live, animals could not reproduce (or eat the plants), and we would all go crazy for many special physiological reasons. Therefore it is arguable that the sun is a good thing. So why do I hate the sun when it exposes the disgustingness of my body after a night of sweaty sleep? Why do I curse the sun when it pounds into my eyes, used to a night of darkness? For that very reason. In the darkness and cold, our bodily secretions are not as noticiable. They do not irritate us nearly as much. My eyes are comfortable in darkness, and the sudden exposure of light throws the balance off.

If the morning sun makes me feel disgusting, how will I react to the presence of God? In the words of C.S. Lewis, do I like goodness I much as I have supposed?

No comments:

Post a Comment